ACSM 2014 Health & Fitness Summit: No Food Fights! A Necessity for Agricultural Co-existence

Presenter: Mary Li Chin

Share This Online Course


What's Included


Access your courses with a computer, tablet or smartphone.

Videos and interactive content designed for a proven learning experience.

Take your courses when you want and where you want.

Description

One of the significant developments over the last two decades is the evolution of a national conversation about food and how it is grown. Problem is that it hasn't been much of a conversation, but instead, a rancorous food fight. Sparked by desires for better health and fixated on responsible use of resources, consumers have created a food revolution, sourcing new ways to obtain food for their dinner tables. Attentiveness to environmental sustainability, social fairness and the food mile has fueled consumer food movements such as local and organic, farmer’s markets, urban farming, and community supported agriculture. Meanwhile the less than 2% of the US population who are farmers, are challenged to produce affordable food for the rest of the 98% in an increasingly tough agricultural climate, and utilize innovative technologies little understood by the public. Lack of familiarity on each side has created myths and misunderstanding, leading to acrimonious debate and entrenched views about each agricultural method. Examine consumer’s hope, hype, and realities of food philosophies; compare conventional, organic and GMO food production by nutritional, economic and environmental measures based on scientific research, and understand necessity for co-existence to meet current and future food needs.

Available Course Credits

ACSM
3.00

Learning Objectives

  1. Identify the best practices of food production method to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
  2. List eco-friendly, sustainability and environmental concerns that drive consumer behavior on food purchases.
  3. Enumerate the challenges that agriculture faces.
  4. Contrast the definitions, benefits, claims and realties of foods produced by the different food production processes: conventional, organic and genetically engineered (GM) agriculture.
  5. Describe misperceptions and assumptions regarding nutrient composition and environmental impact of foods from local, regional, and national origins.
  6. Compare the nutrition content and environmental sustainability of foods produced by the different food production processes: conventional, organic and genetically engineered (GM) agriculture.
  7. Develop consumer guidance for food production choices, so health and fitness professionals can provide their clients with practical, realistic science based recommendations while respecting individual food sourcing philosophies.

Course Content

ACSM 2014 Health & Fitness Summit: No Food Fights! A Necessity for Agricultural Co-existence - TEST
Test
ACSM 2014 Health & Fitness Summit:No Food Fights! A Necessity for Agricultural Co-existence
Video